I had never heard of shark week before I came to LA. It was introduced by the Discovery Channel in 1987 and they host a week long series of shark related documentaries once a year to try and raise awareness of how endangered sharks are becoming. Everyday, “fishermen” catch sharks, pull them out of the ocean, cut off their fins, and throw the still-living remains back into the ocean, where they slowly bleed to death. It’s called shark finning, and it’s happening all over the world. Over 40 million sharks are killed every year - its insane.
Elizabeth Banks has more info about shark week that you can read up on by clicking HERE
I know that was kind of depressing but I had no idea how bad this situation is getting and we all need to be aware of it! If sharks were to become extinct it would have a devastating impact on our ecosystem…
Anyway.. to lighten the mood here are some cool drinking games to play during Shark Week!
1) Drink every time you hear an Australian, South African, or British accent
2) Drink every time you see a diver in a cage.
3) When a great white is ‘jumping’ out of the cage, drink from when the shark exits the water til it the re-entry
4) Drink every time a person mentions chum, a shark attack statistic, or a shark fact (note: this can only happen once every person)
5) Drink every time the camera shows a surfboard or person underwater in the same frame as a shark. Also drink if they show you a chewed-up surfboard.
6) Every time a new person is interviewed, drink
7) Every time a person is declared a “shark expert,” drink….
See the rest of the rules HERE from Bro Bible